19 October 2010

People watchin' from the carpark

Noah fell asleep in the car on our way to Khimji's Mart (our local grocery store) so I stayed in the car with him while Rob took the girls in to do some shopping.

People watching in Nizwa is never dull. I can't help but constantly say to myself, "I live here!" It is just sooooo different.


 The majority of the traffic in & out is Omani men in dishdashas and Omani women in abayas;  usually quite a few children too.
There are many Indians & Pakistani too living in Nizwa.



So, the "whiteys" (totally being silly here saying that) really do stand out. Out of respect of the culture  & to avoid anymore attention than you already get, most white women wear modest clothing in public.  Arms covered, long skirts or pants...no head coverings but some do.  I have my standard uniform: an ankle length skirt & a light weight long sleeved shirt & sandals.



 As I am people watching I see a very out of place tourist.  She is wearing a tight red tank top with white bra straps hanging out.  Scandalous! Definitely not something you see here every day.
Didn't she read her Oman guide book prior to visiting here?!
Seriously, not cool around these parts but Westerners are often forgiven for their faux pas.


The car parked right next to me had an Omani lady & her very young, less than 1 yr old, child on her lap waiting for her husband to come out of the store.

She was loving on her son & kissing him & he was giggling (I could see this but not hear it) & then she made eye contact with me and could see that I was taking it all in, the beautiful interaction between her & her son.

We smiled at each other.  And the look we exchanged was nothing more than "awwwww, sweet baby".


  Then she had him blow kisses & wave at me & it was so precious. A Mother's love & pride...♥ universal...




No comments:

Post a Comment